The aging process has a nearly equal effect on different body parts. Some of the side-effects of aging include the fat under one’s skin diminishing, loss of youthful skin, reduced skin elasticity, and withering of the soft underlying tissues. As we age, the skin around our arm or underarm loosen and become droopy and the excess fat accumulated makes it look even worse. This makes women uncomfortable when they have to wear a dress or clothes with sleeves. Even though you can exercise to strengthen the underarm muscles, that still doesn’t have an effect on the extra skin of the arm. This is the perfect case for an arm lift surgery.
Before and after – arm lift
What causes skin laxity in the upper arm?
Loose and saggy arm skin cannot be fixed through the exercise in some cases and the factors contributing to that include:
- Weight fluctuation
- Genetics and hereditary characteristics
Why is an arm lift surgery performed?
This procedure is used to reshape the arms, lift loose skin, and remove localized excess fat. This loose skin creates a condition referred to as “bat wings” and in most cases, it happens in the underarm due to aging and weight loss. During this cosmetic surgery, the saggy arm skin is removed and the whole skin is tightened from the underarm region to the elbow. There are two methods to slimming and rejuvenating the arms: one is liposuction and the other is an inner arm lift. The first method is more suitable for young women who have large arms. Through this method, fat is extracted without surgery or the need to lift the skin. However, many patients suffer from excess skin in that area. To this end, an incision is made inside of the arm to remove the excess skin.
Who is a suitable candidate for an arm lift surgery?
Most plastic surgeries are optional so opting out of one doesn’t conflict with one’s personal health. Generally, the following individuals benefit from an arm lift surgery:
- Those with extremely saggy arm skin.
- Those who are not extremely overweight and have a stable weight.
- Those with a good health condition.
- Those with reasonable expectations from an arm lift surgery.
Contrary to the above points, if you are significantly overweight and your weight fluctuates or have a disease such as diabetes or rheumatoid arthritis, you should consult with your doctor as the best course of action.
Benefits of an arm lift
Looking leaner and more appealing
Your upper arm changes the way you look significantly. This surgery can be done together with other plastic surgeries to give your body a more pleasing look and form.
Your upper arms weighing less makes your daily life and exercising much easier and that is done by reducing the amount of fat in them. Large and saggy arms will no longer prevent you from physical activities.
Being able to wear attractive clothes
Women who feel uncomfortable with their weight tend to hide that fact and any blemishes by wearing fit clothes with sleeves. If you undergo this surgery, you will have a wider array of options and be able to wear any clothes you wish.
Almost every person likes to have a good body. Seeing wrinkles and loose skin in the mirror is a bit disheartening. It’s fair to say most women want to stay beautiful and hear compliments about how good they look. We turn that desire into reality.
Arm lift consultation
During your first consultation, our surgeon will listen to your expectations of the surgery and preferences and also answer any of questions and doubts. You will also be informed of the surgery costs, final results you can expect, and how long the surgery will take. Additionally, your general health condition will be examined and your surgeon will explain a few things you need to watch out for in preparation for the surgery. Sometimes the scar will be a lot bigger than what you imagined. Therefore, it is highly important to learn how to properly take care of the scar in order to achieve the best possible result. The followings are checked before an arm lift surgery:
- Reasons for undergoing this surgery, your expectations, and possible results
- General health condition and current medication used by the patient
- Whether or not the patient uses herbal supplements, herbal medicine, smokes, or drinks
- Records from previous surgeries
- Factors which could prove to be risky during surgery
- Taking the needed photographs for the surgery
How is an arm lift surgery performed?
The goal is to lift the excess skin of the arm. Local anesthesia is applied first. The use of general anesthesia or sedatives depends on the amount of skin removed and the surgical method (the need to use liposuction). The surgery begins with an incision made on the inside of the arm. The length and shape of the incision depend on the amount and location of excess skin on the arms. There are three methods to correct the issue with arm skin: Inner arm incision, back of arm incision, and minimal incisions under the arm. Our surgeons believe that an incision should general start from the underarm and go close to the elbow. The excess fat is removed directly from the incision or through liposuction. After the shape of the arm’s skin is corrected, the incisions are closed using absorbable sutures and the patient is sent to the recovery room.
Arm lift surgery through liposuction
Some patients might also need liposuction to achieve perfect results. In this method, excess fat is extracted and excess skin is removed using localized incisions.
Convalescence and post-surgery care tips
- You will be looked after at the clinic. Once the surgery is complete, the incision is sutured.
- As soon as you wake up, you need to stretch your fingers by making a fist and opening it and a few days later start moving your arm.
- It is necessary for all patients to use an arm brace.
- You will also be given instructions on how to take care of and wash the surgical area.
- Essential medications are prescribed for you to manage pain and infection. Make sure to complete the full prescription according to the dosage.
- Some patients experience swelling of the forearm and arm which will go down in a few days.
- Avoid letting your arm hang by your side since it leads to swelling and a tingling sensation in the area. It is preferred that you rest your hands on an elevated and comfortable surface. You have to keep your hands above the heart for a few days after the surgery.
- Return to the clinic in 14 days for your arms’ condition to be examined and to remove the sutures.
- Most patients can return to work one week after arm lift surgery. This is in case your work includes heavy physical activity. You can resume light physical activities after three weeks.
- Refrain from lifting heavy objects with your hands until you have been fully recovered.
- It is very important that you protect your scars from direct sunlight. The scars of your surgery will remain but slowly fade away in time until there is a thin white line.
What are the complications of an arm lift surgery?
The most important point for the patient is to pay attention to the length and amount of incisions. The scar in an arm lift is permanent but we make the incisions in places where they are not easily noticeable. As time goes on, all that will remain of the scar will be a thin straight line, but it will never fade away completely.
The asymmetrical shape of the arms
Lack of symmetry between the arms could be the result of not following the surgeon’s instructions during convalescence. However, at Estetikcentrum clinic we can prevent some of these issues thanks to our surgeons’ experience and skill.
Changing the position of the arm tissue could impact the sensory nerves. In these situations, the patient experiences temporary numbness which gets resolved gradually. Other possible complications of an arm lift surgery include:
- Damaging the deep tissue such as blood vessels and muscles
- Bad incision
- Swelling of the arm and fingers
- Liquid accumulation
- Removal of fatty tissues in the surgical area and fat necrosis
- Need for revision surgery to correct the asymmetry in the arms
When will the results of arm lift become noticeable and how long will they last?
The new well-shaped form of the arms is instantly noticeable after the surgery but in order to view the final results, you will need to wait for the swelling and bruising to go down. The surgery’s scar will remain but fades away in time. The results of the surgery are long-lasting but you will need to maintain your weight and fitness to keep the results. At the same time, aging has its effect as well and as you grow older, nature will take its course on your body. The good news is that the results of the surgery are mostly permanent. You can book a consultation session with our professionals online. You can also call us at 040 – 65 66 660. We look forward to seeing you at Estetikcentrum. This article is intended to promote understanding of and knowledge about professional plastic surgeries. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your surgeon or other qualified healthcare providers with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition or treatment.